Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mrs. Garrett's Pecan Pie

It's birthday time! My son and I both have our birthdays in January - three days apart. Now that he's older, we celebrate together. I assumed he wanted hummingbird cake for his birthday but he said he wanted pecan pie. So, this weekend I made a German chocolate cake for myself (my favorite) and 2 pecan pies for Tyson- yum! Then Frank went out and bought us a decorated birthday cake...so, if you're in the neighborhood, come have dessert. :)

I've never made pecan pie before, but I did have my mom's recipe. Apparantly she got it from a neighbor she used to have since its called "Mrs. Garrett's" pecan pie. Here's the recipe:
Mrs. Garrett's Pecan Pie
3 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/3 tsp salt
1 cup syrup (dark)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla
a few pecan halves to decorate the top
1 deep dish pie crust


Preheat oven to 375. Beat all ingredients together. Pour into pie crust.
Wrap foil around the edges to prevent over browning. Bake for 40-50 minutes.










Birthday Collage


1 comment:

T.J. Freeman Jr. said...

Looks like you had a great birthday and PLENTY to snack on :). I see the TV there in the background, can you email me a pic of the whole thing and the enclosure/stand?