Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Black Forest Cupcakes and Leaf Sugar Cookies

Our Thanksgiving lunch at work is today. I had several things to make for people, so I needed something easy to take for the lunch. Black Forest cupcakes to the rescue! These are easy, pretty and very good. I just make the chocolate cupcakes and let cool. Then I cut out the center using the cone technique, saving the caps. Fill with cherry pie filling (canned). Put the cap back on. Pipe vanilla buttercream icing on them and top with a drained cherry. Voila! Easy as cherry pie...sorry, I couldn't help it. ;)
A friend asked me to make sugar cookies for her family Thanksgiving. They are going to the mountains for Thanksgiving and sugar cookies definitely travel well. I made leaf and acorn cookies (using Wilton's nesting cookie cutters). I iced them with royal icing. For the acorns, I added cocoa powder to the icing to make it brown. I like this better than adding brown coloring. If you do this, you'll need to add more water. I thought these turned out very cute. And a million thanks goes to Jessi...she actually did the acorn cookies.

Truly, to be fair I'd have to send a million thanks to Frank also. He washed the dishes and cleaned up after me...I had a royal mess going on. Frank and Jessi stayed up til 2 am helping me. Last night I made Wuthering Heights cupcakes, Black Forest cupcakes, sugar cookies and 2 batches of cinnamon rolls...so you can see why I needed help! A great time was had by all. Well, by me anyway.

No comments: