Sunday, September 21, 2008

Coconut Cupcakes with Seven Minute Frosting

Today I asked Frank what ideas he had for a cupcake. True to form, he suggested coconut cupcakes...he LOVES coconut cake! So, tonight I gave it a whirl. I even made him a small layered coconut cake.

I used my mom's 1-2-3-4 cake recipe, but I added a box of vanilla pudding to the batter. Instead of the sugar water mixture that we usually pour on the layers, I used condensed milk with a little coconut flavoring. Mmmm, any excuse to use condensed milk :).

1-2-3-4 Cake
1 cup shortening (I used butter flavored for this cake)
2 cups sugar
3 cups self-rising flour, sifted
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 small box vanilla pudding (not part of original 1-2-3-4 recipe)
Additional Needs - will be needed later
Coconut
Can condensed milk

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time. Stir in flour alternately with milk (start and end with flour). Add vanilla. Add pudding mix. Put batter in pans and cook at 350 for ~20 minutes.

I got 3 - 4" cake layers and 24 cupcakes from this.








Once the cupcakes were cool, I poked holes in the tops with a fork and sprinkled coconut over the holes. I added 1/4 tsp coconut flavoring to a can of condensed milk, then microwaved it for 30 seconds. This was spooned over the coconut, seeping in the holes.






Seven Minute Frosting
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tbsp water
2tsp karo syrup (light corn syrup)

Put all ingredients in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a mixer while heating. Make sure you don't get any water from the bottom part in your frosting. It's done when it will hold peaks. For the first time, I pulled egg whites from the freezer to make this frosting. They were left over from a German Chocolate cake and I had frozen them. I was a little nervous about it, but they did just fine.

I iced the cupcakes and then dipped them in the coconut.

Frank tried one tonight and gave it a thumbs up. We'll see how my co-workers like them tomorrow. One thing, they are messy!





5 comments:

T.J. Freeman Jr. said...

Holy cow! Those look GREAT! I "sinned" today and had some cheesecake so I think I have consumed all the dessert I can have for another year.. KUTGW!

Amy said...

I think I need to stop by to visit Derek, today!

Derek said...

They look and smell awesome!!! Maybe a day of the diet isn't such a bad idea. :)

Nicole said...

I don't like coconut but if I did, this would be the cake for me :)

Unknown said...

these would be cute at christmas... like little snowballs!