Tuesday, October 21, 2008

S'more Cupcakes with Homemade Marshmallows

Another great way to celebrate fall with cupcakes....S'more cupcakes! I do have to confess on these though....I took some shortcuts....but in my defense, it was a weeknight and fairly late when I started. ;)

Anyway, the first thing I did was make the homemade marshmallows since they need to set for a bit. I got the recipe from IHeartCuppycakes (don't you just love that name). I used vanilla extract instead of vanilla bean.

Once the marshmallows were set, I made graham cracker cake cupcakes. The recipe only makes about 18 cupcakes, so instead of doubling it I made the rest from a chocolate cake mix (shortcut # 1).

While the cupcakes were still hot, I cut a cone out of them and put one of the marshmallows in the hole, then replaced the cap.

After they were completely cooled, I frosted them with bought fudge chocolate frosting (shortcut # 2). I put sprinkled graham cracker crumbs on the cupcakes made with graham cracker cake. In the chocolate cake ones, I inserted a piece of graham cracker into the side.

Frank, Cupcake Tester Extraordinaire, gave it the big thumbs up! (At least the chocolate based ones....he hasn't tried the graham cake ones yet.)

The homemade marshmallows were really easy to make....much easier than I had expected....but they are really sticky!

Graham Cracker Cake (from Back of the Box Recipes)
20 squares graham crackers, finely rolled (about 1 1/2 cups of crumbs)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened (I always use butter)
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk

1. Blend cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder in small bowl; set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
3. Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beating well after each addition. Divide batter into pans. (2 8-inch round cake pans or 18 cupcakes).
4. Bake at 350 for: 15-18 minutes for cupcakes; 25 minutes for cake layers.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum, I want s'more cupcakes! These and the apple pie cupcakes really get me in that fall mood.

T.J. Freeman Jr. said...

Those look good! I bet the home made marshmallows were yummy by themselves... you're killing me with all these sugar filled desserts; one day I'm gonna give in and have one :)

NancyJoJo said...

I'm actually killing myself with them also. I'm definitely sabotaging my own diet! Problem is, I can't help myself. ;)

Nicole said...

Now that sounds like it's right up my ally. They look so yummy!

Unknown said...

Homemade marshmallows? I had no idea you could do that...